It's 1nteger-San, and I have your definitive review for Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout!
What is it and how'd you play?
Fall Guys is a massively multiplayer party game, with up to 60 players online in a free-for-all struggle, through round after round of escalating chaos until one victor remains!
Tis available for free on PS Plus this month at time of recording, or £16 on PSN or Steam since the 4th of August this year! (Yep, you heard it right, not on the X, not at this recording time anywho). It's developed by uk outfit (represent) Mediatonic Games and published by Devolver Digital.
Played about 3hrs (mostly due to server issues and not wanting to die due to severe heat in the UK, arghhh) and watched a whole ton more I might add experiencing and seeing pretty much all the 23 or so events available! (No, we haven't got our first crown yet and yes I blame that Shelley chick, move on with ya lives already).
Played on the PS4 Pro (don't believe there is any pro enhancements) is a battle royale style game in the vein of Takeshi's Castle, Ninja Warrior or Gladiators say.
And it's a blast to play overall. You can check out our first experience with the game in the usual places of this video and I should have a special feature highlighting 5/10 things I think needs to be added to the game for more stickiness, longevity and a higher review score, which obviously everyone is desperate to get from the likes of us. Of course, highly sort after!
• Game is just straight up fun and will have you smiling or laughing just because of the things that can occur during the chaos!
• Characters are super-cute with some dopely hilarious custom costumes (hotdogs and fries working together in harmony is a beautiful, beautiful thing!)
• Controls and mechanics are easy to grasp but tricky to master, with some caveats you'll hear about later.
• Very colourful and cheery asthetics!
• Physics are hilarious and over the top in this game!
• Some really fun events!
• Team events can be fun...again, with some caveats...
• A nice fresh take on the typical Battle Royale format from a playing and viewing perspective.
• Really nice Main Theme (love it) and soundtrack overall (Great Job Jukio Kallio & Daniel Hagstrom!)
• The game has a little too much RNG overall in my opinion be it physics, collisions or simply server issues on occasion.
• Team Events add to the RNG factor and take away from the core of BR in a way, Takeshi's Castle, a core inspiration of this game, did not contain such fallacy's, it was all on you. These could also be easily grieved by other players over time.
• Lacking a little variety in events and mechanics, this is outlined in my Top 5 or Top 10 things that needs to be added to fall guys (or similar title, should be linked).
• Some events like the tail grab and fruit picture matching puzzle needs to be revised or removed all together possibly, not the most fun moments to progress or decide the victor in my opinion.
• We have people cheating already folks, they'll need to stay on top of this of course (And yes, people cheat, even in wholesome happy fun games like Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout, because, it's a fallen world, and, er, because humans).
• Game needs replays, qualifying rank indicators and point gain indicators to add to the information and dopamine loop (something that love or hate it, COD games do so well).
• Unlockables are mostly meh to me, I would like more important unlocks / reasons for winning although such things could imbalance the game so maybe not. Depends on you love of skins I guess, though admittedly there are some very cool ones.
• Game needs better or to include commentary / spectating / casting tools, the current numbered naming system (usernames may have been fixed) protects from stream sniping but makes commentary / spectating difficult and meh.
• Servers are still pretty iffy. Also, could be wrong, but events seem to be limited to half of the original ask of 100 competitors (again, could be wrong).
• Glaring missing features and mechanics that would add to the variety and longevity of the game (check that special feature video again) when comparing it to it's inspirations. Would be a major and frustrating missed opportunity if not added within the next few months.
After breaking down everything, it really helps with the scoring man, so in it's current state, Fall Guys Season 1 gets a very good 7 out of 10 from yours truly!
I think I'd score it more if I wasn't so knowledgeable of the inspiration material such as Takeshi's Castle / Gladiators / Ninja Warrior / It's a knockout etc.
I feel what is there currently is gonna get old quickly if they don't add many of those shows mechanics and events as well as the improvements suggested for extra stickiness, less RNG and better viewability.
It is a joyous thing though and a breath of fresh breathing battle royal airiness!